Who cares what games we choose? Little to win but nothing to lose.

Monday, April 25, 2011

A Word About the Map

Just a quick note to potential and actual followers of this blog and my PCT hike. The map over to the right will be updated along with the blog. At times I may update only the map, if I only have a few moments to update, so watch for that. Or I may add several placemarks when I get into town, not just one for the town itself, in an effort to provide more info. I didn't have a map on my simple AT blog (I was such a noob back then), so we'll just have to see how this works.

Of course, I don't really know what I'm in for out there. Maybe I'll neglect the map. Maybe I'll neglect the blog altogether. Don't know. Hope not.

But, those little blue placemarks are clickable. Go ahead, click one. You'll see the location name, and a little note below about the location. For map-oriented people like me, it's nice to be able to plug an incident into a location on a map.

Also, I tried to get the map a bit more zoomed in than it is, so it wouldn't show so much of Canada and Mexico, but Google doesn't allow fine tuning on its embedded maps. I have it on the 4 zoom level, and if I go to 5 it's way too close, cuts SoCal and Washington out completely. But of course you can zoom in at will, it's a fully functional map, just double-click with the left mouse button to go in, and double-click with the right button to go out. Or just use the +/- buttons on the map itself. Finally, you may, by left-clicking, hold-and-drag to shift the map around. I'm sure I way over-explained this, but this way there's no confusion.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I hope you're able to update your blog and map at least occasionally. It will be fascinating to hear about your journey!

    ReplyDelete