Who cares what games we choose? Little to win but nothing to lose.

Friday, April 29, 2011

ADZPCTKO (No, I didn't mash on the keyboard)

By the time you read this, I'll be at the Annual Day Zero Pacific Crest Trail Kick Off (ADZPCTKO), "Kick Off" for short and the subject of this post. I like that they went with the most unpronouncable acronym of all time. It somehow appeals to me.

Okay, great, you're thinking, but what the hell is it? Keep your panties on. The Kick Off is a big get-together at the start of the trail (actually, at mile 20, at Lake Morena Campground, see the placemark on the map), where hikers can, according to their website,
shed those butterflies that inevitably precede a life-altering experience like hiking the PCT by showing you the broad spectrum of strategies that have been successful in the past and those of your fellow 2011 PCTers. Additionally, it provides a low-key gathering in which you can begin the friendships that inevitably evolve from such a journey.
There will be gear vendors, presentations, food, and a lot of socializing. So in a way it's a bit like Trail Days, the big hiker festival on the Appalachian Trail. I hear the Kick Off is more laid back than the frenzied, drug and alcohol fueled shenanigans of Trail Days, but I can't say for sure.

The Plan: along with K-Bomb, my hiking partner, start at the border on Thursday, and take it easy on the way to the Kick Off. We could probably do it in one day, but are planning on taking those 20 miles easy, camp around mile 16 or so, then mosey in early on Friday. Neither of us have trained much, and with the incredible, near-record snow year in the Sierras, we have plenty of time to kill those first 700 miles. Let that snow melt a bit.

Then, Friday and Saturday we will enjoy the festivities, then Sunday hike out once and for all. We're both pretty damn excited. I for one have been thinking about doing this hike since, well, there was talk of it on the AT in 2008. Of course, I was waffling over whether or not to hike until last August, when I decided to face my fears and just do it. It's never as bad as you think it will be.

Here's hoping, anyways.

No comments:

Post a Comment