Who cares what games we choose? Little to win but nothing to lose.

Friday, July 1, 2011

Mammoth Lakes, CA

Am back on the trail here in Mammoth Lakes. Well, not quite. I'm back in a trail town. Tomorrow I'll be back on the trail. When I met up with K-Bomb, Ninja and Drop and Roll, and two guys they'd been hiking with, Roadrunner and Doc, they all needed a few days off. Apperently the Sierras are kicking everyone's ass, with all the snow, river fords, and, the day they were coming in, rain and snow. They were soaked when they got to town, freezing cold and thinking only of dry clothes and hot showers, then food and rest, and lots of it. So I get a couple days here in a pretty awesome town to catch up with my friends, hear some stories, get hyped up, and eat like a thru-hiker. I don't quite have the appetite I did a month ago, but I'm making valiant efforts to keep up with my crew.

It's just great to see everyone again, been having a lot of fun. We even rented a vacation condo for a couple nights, which has been beyond luxurious, especially considering where we spent our first night in town. And of course, MY first night in town, I just camped out somewhere in the woods east of town. Set up my tarp, knowing about the rain, and assumed I'd be fine; naturally the wind shifted in the night and started blowing rain in on me. But I don't complain, because everyone else has been having a much harder time up in the high country.

It's also been good to have a few days to get a bit more acclimated to the high altitude. Going from Florida's sea level to Mammoth Lakes 8000 ft, I can really feel the change, get short of breath just walking down the street, my heart racing, though it's getting better. I still think I'm going to be dead weight for the group for a little while, but hopefully not too much. Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment