Who cares what games we choose? Little to win but nothing to lose.

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Idyllwild

So here we are in Idyllwild. Our zero in Warner Springs turned into two nearos, then into just one nearo and an 18 mile day out of town, so we're definitely taking a day off here. Feels good already. Been a tough few days, getting here. Feet have healed, so the walking has been a dream pretty much. Which means, with the constant pain gone, the inward journey can begin. Just you and your thoughs as you walk along rhythmically, almost hypnotically. It goes with the territory. Heavy stuff, though, about what I'm doing out here, what I'm living for, and all my failures and problems. It can be pretty draining, especially since there's no distractions out here: no books, internet, TV, work, etc. You're stuck with yourself out here. People always say they wish they could get out and do somthing like this, have adventures like me; lately it almost seems crazy to envy me. Do this long enough (and it is addicting) and you just end up a poor man with nobody and nothing but idle wandering.

The upshot is that I get to spend months at a time in some of the most beautiful places America has to offer, among awesome people, living a simple and pure life. I'll take it for now. And don't let the above fool you, I'm having a great time out here, and a journey like this would be worthless if all I got out of it is pretty pictures (which I hope to post later today). It's hard, physically, mentally and spiritually, but it's worth it on every level.

Getting used to the weather shifts out here has taken some getting used to. In the desert sections, the swings are incredible. Marc, a hiker who's sorta teamed up with K-Bomb and I, says "it's like a landscape in menopause, man!" And of course the elevations change everything. Monday we started getting up into higher country, and a storm moved in as well. The winds were fierce as all hell, and low clouds obscuring everyting. I hiked alone most of the day, as K-Bomb went to a cafe just off the trail for a few hours to warm up. I knew I'd never leave and have to go to town if I went, so I hiked on. Good hiking at first, but up on the ridge at around 7000' the weather fully sucked. There was rime ice coating every bush and tree, the wind chill was maybe 20 degrees, so strong it was blowing me around like a drunk man. 

About 1 or 2 oclock, roughly 15 miles on I hiked down a mile long side trail to Cedar Springs for water. I was so cold that when I got there I just sat down on a log and felt miserable. For about a half hour, actually-- Moccasin doesn't like the cold. Finally I realized that that if I didn't move, if I didn't get some damn layers on, I was going to die. So I slowly got my insulated jacket out, my arms shooting in pain from the frigid muscles. Then got the tarp up, slowly, then finally the sleeping bag. Ate a couple dinners, and vegged out. Later Ninja and Drop and Roll came in, two girls who have been hiking around us since the beginning, so at least I had some good company for the evening. We were all asleep by about 6:30

Next day was hard too. Weather was better, but it was gonna be a 21 mile day mostly up hill, steeper climbs than any yet, and at elevations from 7000' to 8500'. Definitely felt that thinner air. I also didn't eat or drink enough, and was freakin exhausted for the afternoon; any little tiny uphill made me feel queasy and sick, but I finally made it (thanks to a short side trail that cut 0.8 miles off the PCT, saved me a big climb in the snow drifts. It was an astonishingly beautiful hike all day, though; the San Jacinto Mountains are some legit mountains, dramatically sheer and rocky, with real trees (huge pines). We all miss trees, a little.

Felt better after getting into town, thanks to a ride from some random trail angels, ate some lasagna and just hung out. Actually, our cabin had a TV and I sat watching The Office for a few hours before going to bed at 11. Way past my bedtime. Still up at the ass crack of dawn, though, standing outside the coffee shop waiting for it to open so I can get my fix. And now you're all caught up.

1 comment: