Who cares what games we choose? Little to win but nothing to lose.

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Well, here I go again...

Livin' the dream
I've said before that I'd never hike a long trail again; the AT, wonderful as it was, was also very painful and exhausting physically. I also felt like I was passing a lot of things by in the rush northward. But I cannot deny it-- I've been bitten by the long distance hiking bug. The mountains, the people, the simplicity, the views, the hiker-trash culture, I love it all. So, I thought I'd try to do a blog for my PCT hike, as I did for my AT hike. Not sure how updatable it will be from the trail, but same as on the AT, I'll do my best.

Now, the Pacific Crest Trail, running from Mexico to Canada, is a bit more intense than the Appalachian Trail, in some ways at least. Actually the hiking is easier, as it is graded for pack animals; the AT would kill a horse, it's so rugged, rocky, and steep. Actually, your horse would probably look at you, then look at the trail, then look at you, and laugh. The PCT does have switchbacks and easier grades, but the elevations are considerably higher, especially in the Sierra Nevada. The PCT is a good step longer, at 2663 miles, compared to the AT's 2176-- but generally takes less time to hike (those easier grades really count!). It's much more remote, resupply is more difficult, towns are farther away, there's major water availability concerns (the southern portion is in the Mojave), there are massive snow fields on steep slopes to be negotiated, little shade (none of the AT's "long green tunnel") more rattlesnakes, and the bears are meaner.

The PCT is far less popular as far as thru-hiking goes. On a given year, some 1500 or more people attempt to thru-hike the AT; for the PCT that number is about 300. Completion rates are higher, though; 60% for the PCT vs 25% for the AT. These numbers are all estimates, mind you. But if you're hiking solo, there's a real chance you can go days without seeing anyone. Or you can if you want to. To put it in a more exaggerated way, the AT is a social trail, the PCT is a wilderness trail.

I've doing things differently this time around. I've decided not to be a cheap-skate and to buy quality gear this time. No more punishing myself with heavy junk. I'm actually very focused on going lighter: my pack, sleeping bag, and tent together weight about 6 pounds, which is what my pack itself weighed last time around. In fact I've replaced all three with lighter gear.

I have a ULA Catalyst for my new pack (new since the AT, anyways), and a Marmot Helium sleeping bag. I will be tarp tenting again, but now I know how to use it, with different set-up configurations, so I shouldn't get wet on rainy nights. There probably won't be many rainy nights, it's much drier out there until you hit Washington, and even then it's hit or miss. I've also switched to an alcohol stove, weighs ounces and won't break (no moving parts), and a hobo stove as well. Keep it simple, stupid!

K-Bomb in the Whites

I'll be hiking with Kevin (aka K-Bomb), with whom I hiked much of the AT, so I won't starting solo this time. Though you never know what can happen out there, we plan to do the whole thing together.

Worried about: the high elevations, due to my heart condition. The physical exhaustion. The lack of fresh food. Long water carries. Being frisked by my friendly neighborhood TSA agent at the airport on the way to the trail.

Looking forward to: meeting this year's "class" of hikers. Outrageous views, all day. Silence, peace, and simplicity. Yosemite. The desert. Mountain springs. Being back where I belong.
Click for full size

No comments:

Post a Comment