Who cares what games we choose? Little to win but nothing to lose.

Friday, January 21, 2011

Hobo Stove


Ready for use
I thought I would add some pictures of my stove set up, or part of it. I have a penny stove that burns denatured alcohol, but plan to build a new one that's slightly more complex to make but easier to use. I have the hobo stove here because I like the idea of not having to carry fuel, though I plan to use a hybrid approach on the trail. (click photos for full size).

I used a juice can, pineapple if I remember right (mmm...), with holes punched around one side of the bottom with a church key (visible in the pics if you look closely), and four at the top with a hole punch or drill. To cut the large hole, I just scored it repeatedly with a box cutter and pressed until it split. I cut up a coat hanger for the pot supports (though will probably switch to tent stakes).

I cut a piece of 1/2" hardware cloth into a square, folded the corners down, and rammed it into the can (using another, smaller can to push). This supports the fire, allowing air to come in from underneath for a chimney effect.

My pot (Snowpeak 700) nests inside of the can. I specifically purchaced this pot for its dimensions for just this purpose.

Thanks to my uncle Gordie's love of fine liquor, I have a nice carrying sack to contain the soot (a minor issue anyways).

No comments:

Post a Comment